- In his inaugural address, Gov. Chris Sununu called for a “sensible, long-term plan” to meet New Hampshire’s energy needs and lower costs, including his support for new energy projects like Northern Pass. “Eleven-hundred megawatts of clean, renewable energy? How do we say no to that when we have the highest energy rates in the country? We can help ratepayers!” said Sununu.
- The stark reality of the Granite State’s high energy costs has come into focus — defense and law enforcement contractor Sig Sauer, a valuable job creator in New Hampshire, has announced plans to expand to Arkansas due to electricity costs and concerns about future price volatility.
- In an effort to meet the state’s goals to reduce carbon emissions, Massachusetts is expected to issue a request for proposals for 2,800 megawatts (MW) of clean energy, including 1,600 MW of offshore wind and 1,200 MW of renewables, such as Canadian hydropower.
- Spectra announced the company will delay its proposed $3 billion natural gas pipeline expansion, which would have helped meet the demand of electric generation companies throughout New England, particularly on the coldest days when demand for power is greatest. Gordon van Welie, president and CEO of ISO-New England, has said the region’s operating situation is precarious during the winter time and may become unsustainable beyond 2019 during extreme cold conditions without a additional pipeline capacity.
- Massachusetts residents are calling for the immediate closure of Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station, which can generate 680 MW of nuclear energy, enough to power more than 600,000 homes.
Sununu says battling the drug epidemic a top priority as he’s sworn in as NH governor
NH1 News, 5 January 2017
Gov. Chris Sununu delivers inaugural address
WMUR , 5 January 2017
Mike Marland: Dec. 28, 2016
Concord Monitor, 28 December 2016
Jim Roche: Energy cost and reliability are hitting NH employers
Union Leader, 1 December 2016
New England to charge ahead on clean energy makeover in 2017
RTO Insider, 2 January 2017
Spectra delays Access Northeast natural gas pipeline
Utility Dive, 2 January 2017
Grid in the balance
CommonWealth Magazine, 10 January 2017
Massachusetts residents continue to push for Pilgrim closure
Exchange Monitor, 3 January 2017